One of Spoken First’s readers wrote us recently with a question about funding for a language grants opportunity we had blogged about last year. To answer his question, I checked out the funder’s website and discovered that the grants are being offered this year as well. I figured I’d post some updated info in case any of our other readers know of a community group or tribal government that may want to apply.
- Fourteen Native American Language Preservation and Maintenance grants are being funded through the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
- Grant awards average $250,000.
- Grant awards are “for projects that contribute to the social development and self-sufficiency of native communities through the preservation and maintenance of Native American languages.”
- Native American tribes, tribal organizations, educational institutions, community centers and more are eligible to apply.
- The deadline to apply is January 31, 2013.
If you know of a community group or tribal government that could make good use of the funding, make sure they get their application in before the final deadline! More details can be found here.