Supervision and Management Skills:
Leadership in the Tribal Workplace
||March 27 - 28, 2018
||Las Vegas, NV
If you’re a manager or supervisor, ask yourself: What will motivate
my staff? How can I get people to accomplish their duties quickly
and productively? How can I instill cooperation and teamwork in
my staff? How do I get a difficult employee to become
a good employee? How can I continue to keep my employees
energized and resourceful? This valuable class is designed to help participants overcome many of the supervisory problems that they will encounter as a workplace leader. Dealing with the problems that supervisors encounter isn't easy, but it doesn't have to lead to discouragement.
This class will enable you to expand on personal and
on-the-job experiences by applying newly acquired
skills and techniques used by leading management
experts. Our instructor will walk
you through practical, hands-on exercises, including problem-solving
and other workplace scenarios. You’ll also take a self-assessment to see how well you manage diverse teams, and learn what you can do to better set your employees up for success. Plus, we’ll give you valuable tips for how to handle supervising friends or relatives.
This program is vital for all
first-time managers and supervisors.
It will also improve the skills of more experienced managers.
|T O P I C S I N C L U D E
|Responsibilities of a Supervisor
- Responsibilities to management, your workgroup and yourself
- Being a role model
- Handling mistakes
Planning for Success
- What does leadership mean to you?
- About leadership
- Understanding your comfort zone
- Managing performance
- Servant leadership
Creating a Motivational Climate
- How can planning help me?
- Getting things in order
- Mastering email
- Time management tips
- The parts of a good plan
- The next steps
- Behavioral (Reinforcement) Theory
- Expectancy Theory
- McClelland's Needs Theory
|Interpersonal Communication Skills
- What are communication skills?
- Getting better with communication
- Probing techniques
- Active listening skills
- Six characteristics of effective feedback
- Skill-building exercise
- Receiving feedback
Supervising Friends and Relatives
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Helping skills
- Mentoring skills
- Teaching skills
- Challenging skills
- Transitioning from "friend" to "boss"
- What if you're in the position to hire a friend?
- What do you do when a friend is hired?
- Steps for managing your relationships
- Guarding against potential problems
Managing Diversity in the Tribal Workplace
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Guidelines for success
- Defining diversity
- Advantages and disadvantages of diverse teams
- Conflict and creativity
- How you can help diverse teams succeed
Managing Challenging Situations
- The conflict resolution process
- Breaking down the process
- When should a supervisor get involved?
- Steps for a difficult conversation
- Communication skills for difficult situations
- Case studies
*Topics subject to change.