An extension of last year’s most popular session! We’ll examine more time saving tips and tricks that will increase your efficiency and show you additional uses for this popular software. Explore budgeting, time management, forms, and more in this interactive session.
- Formatting tools
- Identifying errors
- Advanced worksheets
Records management has gotten more complex as the kinds of records we keep have increased. Learn about best practices for moving to a digital system, including electronic document conversion, mobile device syncing, and retention and destruction policies.
- Implement a new electronic records management system
- Perfect electronic filing techniques
- Update and improve records retention procedures to reflect electronic records
This session is a snippet of our popular two-day course “Financial Literacy for Tribal Secretaries and Administrative Assistants.” In it, our instructor will discuss the process of planning budgets, types of budgets, and basic accounting policies. You’ll get hands-on experience by analyzing a sample budget in the session.
- Fundamentals of budget interpretation
- Reading financial statements
- Understanding budgetary policies
As a tribal employee, you are responsible for complying with the tribe’s purchasing or contracting procedures and following federal guidelines. This workshop offers an in-depth look at your responsibilities and tops for making the most cost-effective use of tribal program funds.
- Preparing complete and accurate requisitions
- Managing vendor relationships
- Convincing the right people to authorize a purchase
The structure and operation of tribal governments can be confusing even to those who work within them. In this workshop we will discuss the essentials of tribal government operations, the documents that support the government and an overview of the legislative, executive and judicial powers of tribal councils. We’ll also give some tips on working for and with tribal governments. After this workshop you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of tribal documents and policies
- Describe the division of governing functions
- Define the roles of tribal officers
- Conduct yourself diplomatically in a political office environment
The tasks of screening calls and visitors can leave even the most organized admin feeling frazzled. It can be quite a challenge to “gatekeep” while also ensuring callers and visitors feel important, and handling the many other tasks on your plate. Do you have a strategy for deflecting pushy salespeople? How about callers who decide to dump all of their information on you when your manager isn’t available to take their call? We’ll give you strategies to remain poised and professional, no matter who shows up at your desk or on your phone line!
- Role play scenarios
- The strategies people use to get around gatekeepers
- Setting expectations with your manager
If proofreading was as simple as it sounds, we’d never see any errors. In fact, effective proofreading and editing are skills that must be developed. In this hands-on session, we’ll test your proofreading and editing abilities and provide you with techniques that will help you produce professional-looking written materials every time. Your written work is a reflection of your professionalism and attention to detail—be sure you’re putting your best work forward.
- Common pitfalls
- Error-free writing
- Editing checklist
For many of us, assertive communications do not come naturally. When we communicate assertively, we are our own best advocates and ensure we do not get taken advantage of. It requires courage to be assertive, as well as tact to avoid aggression. In this session, we’ll find the happy medium between passive and aggressive and help you practice being assertive through interactive exercises.
- Identifying when assertiveness will pay
- The top 10 tips for using assertive communications
- Pitfalls to avoid
We have all heard how important first impressions are. In this brand new session, we’ll examine how attitudes set the tone for inter-office operations and encourage business productivity and growth. You’ll come to understand your pivotal role in your workplace and discover simple tips to ensure you leave all with a favorable lasting impression!
- Building loyalty and good will
- Understanding customer service culture
- How to turn a customer’s negative experience into a positive one
“Putting out fires” at work is a task many of us deal with on a day-to-day basis. This workshop will show you how to create solutions using creativity, energy and enthusiasm, so that you can make the most of your day — and make sure it’s a productive one. This hands-on workshop includes:
- Brain teasers
- Looking at things from a different angle
- Brainstorming for solutions
Having a basic working knowledge of your rights as an employee of a tribal employer is part of being an active, well-informed employee and member of your tribal organization. Attend this session and learn about a broad spectrum of laws and regulations that affect the rights you and your fellow employees have. From sexual harassment to Indian preference to grievance procedures, you’ll come away with a solid grasp of the basics.
- Understanding your rights in the workplace
- Identifying workplace discrimination
- Application of federal employment law to Indian tribes
Know your rights as an American Indian or Alaska Native. Learn the basics – the origins of sovereignty, the history of the relationship between tribes and the federal government, and the powers of tribal governments.
- The rights of sovereign Indian nations
- Key federal laws and policies
- The powers of the tribal government
- The rights of individuals
Increase your personal effectiveness at work, at home and in the community. The skills you learn in this interactive workshop will help you gain more self-esteem and build your confidence. You’ll identify your personality weaknesses and learn to capitalize on your strengths.
- Making the most of your interpersonal relationships
- Understanding your personality style
- Achieving more – personally and professionally
- Compensate for weaknesses; Capitalize on strengths
Discover 8 strategies you can use every day to reduce your stress, increase your activity level, and create a positive mindset. Learn how a healthy mind and body play a significant role in your productivity, effectiveness, and ultimately your happiness at home and in the office. This workshop will provide you with the tools and tips you need to work hard, maintain energy and stay sharp throughout your day.
- Kicking bad habits and creating good ones
- Fitting exercise into your day
- Eating healthy on the job